Sunday, June 28, 2009


Michael Jackson being gone is a sad thing in music, I most honestly say. It's sad but I don't feel the same way everyone else seems to feel. I don't think until it happens will I ever be as devasted as when Aaliyah died. Like her death changed me 360, I remember crying? I never cry I even called my mother at 3 in the morning, knowing that she had to work in 2 hrs crying my eyes out. 

I wanted to forgive everyone that I hated, and to strive to be a good person from now on. My mother hearing this side of her son that she has never heard before, really changed our relationship for the better.

Michael's death has taken me back to that moment again. I was so depressed and didn't even realize it until now. Even writing this I've noticed that Aaliyah's death still brings tears to my eyes.

In 1997 I was sitting with a friend of my mom's. We were looking at a magazine and we came across a picture of Dorthy Dandrigde. He said to me "she looks so good she make you wanna slap your momma". Then he went on to talk about how when he was 12 when she died, and even as a 43 year old man it still hurts him today.

On August 25, 2001 her death took me back to that conversation. Because I know that I now will feel the same way for Aaliyah, like he felt for Dorthy.

No comments: