Friday, August 6, 2010

Fashion Is The Last Plantation.


Damn man I used to really love fashion, and then it got played out to me. Like when I decided to move to the Fashion Capital....I'm sorry "Fashion Capital". I knew that instantly it would get boring to me. I'm just weird like that, when everyone else goes right, Emerah must go left. It's the only right way for me or else I will be unhappy and suicidal. Anyway after being here for a year, I've gotten so bored with fashion people. Everyone is a stylist, fashion designer, accessories designer, set designer works for a PR Firm etc etc etc etc wtf wtf wtf who cares.

Also I tried to do the fashion thing with some people, but they weren't serious about the business. And after working in a couple of stores and going to enough fashion parties and seeing how it's some weird cult to become discovered by the white man's vogue. I decided that enough is enough with this cliche. I got back to the basic of Emerah before I became Emerah and I was simply Raheem Boggerson. The little kid that YES, liked fashion and being stylish but loved to make horror films a lot more.

And it's so refreshing to me when people ask "so what do you do"? I say "I write horror films". And folks are always like WOW, I've never heard anyone say that before. I've gotten that quite a few times already. People have to understand this, is that NYC shouldn't just be filled with a bunch of kids who are rich offspring, who can afford the latest and most expensive clothing in the world. But that NYC is a place for all kinds of art and all kinds of artist. Yes I still love fashion however it's dominated by a bunch of insecure people who want to fit into the "Cool Kids Club" ie (Vogue Magazine) and any other fashion house or publication that doesn't care for black people.

I hear so much about young black talented designers and models that aren't making it like the white ones. However I never hear of anyone trying to start their own modeling agency or magazine. Everyone wants to do fashion design and hopes that Anna Wintour will accept them, please get Z fuck outta here with that. It's gotten to the point where it seems like in NYC that nothing is new and everyone looks alike which is like...really though? You've got reality stars doing clothing lines, everyone is on this crazy sunglasses kick craze and it's just getting to be too much for me.

A friend of mine named Randal Jacobs said this. Fashion is the last plantation and he is so right . It really is like they don't even want to do a Vogue Africa, are you really shocked at that? I'm not because you've got to keep in mind that Amerikkkan fashion started in the beginnings of this great nation we call the land of the "free". In the starting we were slaves, not even considered human we wore rags or close to nothing at all. While fashion was made for the elite white class, so you can't be really upset because this is the way it has always been when you think about it.

So yeah let's make our own and not discriminate on anyone or any race and change history.

1 comment:

you know who this is said...

I'm glad that you learned this and didn't get turned out like all these other people who have some convoluted idea of how they're gonna blow up in the fashion world and wind up working in retail until their forty. the fashion biz is for a select determined few - and most of them AREN'T designers.

make scary movies. i'll go and see them, despite it all.